FREELANCE ADVERTISING & MARKETING CONSULTANT
2019 – present
Freelance advertising and marketing consultant, creative director, and copywriter for clients across social, web, TV/video, and more.
Brands I’ve worked with include:
• Amazon Web Services (AWS), a cloud computing juggernaut powering everything from biochemical research to Formula 1 racing.
• Disney, a.k.a. The House of Mouse. An entertainment and theme park enterprise the likes of which Chuck E. Cheese can only dream.
• Amazon.com, an online book store that’s expanded into other areas such as bulk toilet paper and award-winning televisual entertainment.
• Rivian, a billion-dollar unicorn automotive startup backed by Amazon and Ford.
• Shift.io, a cloud-based collaboration platform changing how video content is edited and produced.
• Porsche Club of America Los Angeles Region, the country’s foremost Porsche enthusiast club.
• Mondo.NYC, a global festival uniting music and technology, where emerging artists, innovators and industry insiders connect and collaborate.
• Bloomberg Philanthropies, a charitable foundation that spans the globe and reaches nearly every corner of human endeavor.
2018 – 2019
Got laid off, so I zigged when I would’ve been expected to zag.
Things I did:
• Drove around the country for three months with my dog James.
• Fell in love with Utah.
• Wondered if I could’ve booked some dog food ads given the reception James received outside the CAA offices in Beverly Hills.
• Became a booster of Love’s Travel Stops.
• Worked as a bar back.
• Realized bar backing is a really hard job.
• Started doing standup comedy; my most successful joke was about shark attacks and dermatology.
• Performed at Gotham Comedy Club.
CREATIVE STRATEGY DIRECTOR
Critical Mass / 2017 – 2018
Client: BMW USA
Social media team lead and client partner. Two direct reports plus two other indirect reports. Acted as a client representative at trade shows and other events.
Developed Instagram campaign around global debut of X2 in Detroit, showing the vehicle in a way distinct from over-saturated corporate imagery, as well as showing the city in a way distinct from usual urban blight.
Vibrant, positive, and color-rich campaign resulted in 42% higher general brand engagement rate, as well as asset pilfering by BMW Global.
Created realtime photoshoot and Twitter-based scavenger hunt to promote BMW’s sponsorship of the David Bowie Is exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum.
Greenwich Village-focused campaign netted a 93% positive sentiment rate, as well as 130 UGC posts during the shoot itself.
Spark44 / 2016 – 2017
Clients: Jaguar & Land Rover North America
Created story-driven direct mail pieces using a new look, a new voice, and a new feel to unify the entire Land Rover lineup into a cohesive unit defined by its embrace of adventure and romance.
Developed multi-stage eCRM campaigns and premium promotional materials for Jaguar, changing brand perceptions and generating leads.
Direct mail conversion rates improved by 25% for both brands.
ASSOCIATE CREATIVE DIRECTOR
MUH-TAY-ZIK HOF-FER / 2015 – 2016
Client: Audi of America
Editorial lead for Audi’s organic social content. Two direct reports, one indirect. Client partner. Directed on location content capture and publication.
Spearheaded next generation of social content for Audi, emphasizing brand design hallmarks with nighttime photography, and embracing younger enthusiasts with live-streamed video games through an official XBOX tag.
Directed on-site, live broadcast on Snapchat of North American reveal of second-gen R8 supercar, netting nearly 60k views and up to 782 saves.
SENIOR SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIST
Razorfish / 2013 – 2015
Client: Mercedes-Benz USA
Developed trendsetting programs like #MBphotopass, reinventing how luxury auto brands approach visually-driven social and driving MBUSA to a 32% greater social engagement rate versus all global luxury competitors.
Responsible for engaging a global audience through the @MBUSA Twitter handle, addressing comments, questions, and concerns while building the account into a benchmark for automotive.
Created and presented POVs on potential suitability of emerging and existing social channels for programs, campaigns, and activations, and sold them through to VP- and SVP-level clients.
Assisted in launch and management of Instagram-based CLA: Take The Wheel campaign, winner of an Effie Award, and two golds and one silver MMA Global Smarties for Lead Generation/Direct Response/Conversion, Product/Services Launch and Brand Awareness.
Razorfish / 2011 – 2013
Clients: Mercedes-Benz USA, J.P. Morgan, Citi & Chase
Created an all-new brand voice for Mercedes-Benz USA, as well as storytelling-style social content that garnered industry-beating engagement by resonating with consumers, while bettering their understanding of the client’s products and mission.
Re-branded and re-wrote websites for Mercedes-Benz USA and J.P. Morgan’s private wealth management office in San Francisco.
Developed eCRM campaigns for Citi and Chase targeted at higher-end retail banking consumers.
2004 – 2008
Note: Left in 2008 to attend graduate school.
Clients included: Arizona Jeans, Boston University, Ferrari, Harvard University, JCPenney, Morrissey & Co.
Master’s Degree / Communications – Boston University
Portfolio / Copywriting – Miami Ad School
Bachelor’s Degree / History – Tufts University